Linux Mint on the Main Machine

I went ahead and set up the dual boot on my main computer with Linux Mint running alongside Windows 10. This is the first part of testing to see if I can finally move into a Linux environment completely. Linux Mint has been a popular environment for me over the past three or four years, so I tend to go back to it. Although, I was very tempted to try elemental OS that I’ve been hearing about so much, but I chose to hold off for now. Maybe I can put elemental OS on one of my other machines and give it a try.

Something interesting happened when I put Linux Mint on my main computer that I had never encountered before. Usually, the Grub menu gets installed and detects Windows just fine, and I don’t have to worry about dealing with it manually. This time around the Grub menu picked Windows boot partition to be the first boot option, which I had slightly anticipated because I chose to go the UEFI route with this install. Right in the installation documentation for Linux Mint is a small troubleshooting page that mentions this and provides the solution. I just had to reboot back onto the flash drive and tell the Grub menu what order I wanted for my boot menu.

I thought that would be the end of it, but the next time I restarted my computer, the Windows bootloader popped up and put me back into Windows. I was scratching my head at that one because I had just made the change in Grub. I plugged my flash drive in again and when I was I brought up the boot menu from the motherboard to boot into the flash drive again, I noticed the motherboard boot menu was listing Linux Mint (showing as ubuntu) as an option. That made me wonder if I had to also change the option on my motherboard, so I loaded the BIOS and checked. Sure enough, the motherboard still had Windows selected, so I changed it to get it working the way I want.

My previous two motherboards had never needed me to change the option before, so it kind of came as a surprise. The motherboard I have in my computer now is one I picked up recently, so maybe it is a newer thing or maybe I’ve just gotten lucky over the years. Either way, it’s working now and running just fine. I figured I would share this experience in the event some other user encounters it too and is trying to search up a fix.

The next step in my test is to see if I can backup some of my Steam games in Windows and restore them in Linux. I did find some information on how to share a folder between two operating systems, so I would assume performing the backup in Steam in Windows and then restoring it using Steam in Linux would work. Time will tell.